In celebration of the life of Walkin’ Jim Stoltz, the Kid for the Wild scholarship is a tribute to the memory and vision of his "Kid for the Wild" spirit.
- Provide an opportunity for youth to experience the outdoors in ways that may change their lives.
- Support opportunities that open minds, build self-confidence, develop understanding, appreciation and further stewardship for the natural world.
- Awarded to youth who best demonstrate their desire and need to pursue experiences that encourage their connections with the natural world.
- Experiences that emphasize nature exploration, environmental science, wilderness adventures, and leadership in the outdoors. These experiences can be in the form of camps, trips, and/or travel. Applicants can range in age from 12-18 years old or older if furthering their education pertaining to the natural world.
- Scholarship applications must be received by February 15
- Award recipients will be contacted and announced by March 30
- The scholarship must be used during the year in which it is awarded
- Scholarship recipients are asked to make one public presentation about their experience (to their school, church, local library, etc.) following their return
- Scholarships are awarded to applicants who best demonstrate both a commitment to and interest in the natural world, and who can articulate why this scholarship will make a difference in their lives
- Two applicants are awarded annually
- Proposals for any and all outdoor adventures an applicant has dreamed of endeavoring in their lives is encouraged
- Scholarships are awarded for experiences that emphasize nature exploration, environmental science, wilderness adventures, and leadership in the outdoors. These experiences can be in the form of camps, trips, and/or travel.
- Applicants can range in age from 12-18 years old or older if furthering their education pertaining to the natural world.
- Amounts of awards range from $50-$800.
- The scholarship is funded by individual donations
Past scholarship awards
- Alpen Girls - A traveling camp experience for girls 11-17 in Bozeman, Montana.
- Glacier Institute - Exploration and adventure in the "Crown of the Continent" offering a variety of youth opportunities throughout each summer.
- Northwest Connections - Pioneering a 'new' way of looking at ecosystems: one that recognizes and appreciates the variability in nature and therefore the importance of information which is site specific and which is collected over an ample period of time.
- We encourage you to imagine your own "Wilderness Time"
- Send completed application packet (application & essay) to:
Kid for the Wild Scholarship
c/o Leslie Stoltz
PO Box 160477
Big Sky, MT 59716
- Any questions or trouble opening forms, contact our scholarship committee chair, Leslie at email@example.com