In celebration of the life of Walkin’ Jim Stoltz, the Kid for the Wild scholarship is a tribute to the memory and vision of his "Kid for the Wild" spirit.
The Kid for the Wild Scholarship application deadline is set for March 30, 2021. Contact to recipients will be made by May 1, 2021. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
2020 Kid for the Wild Award
As many things in 2020 have gone, the announcement of a scholarship comes later than usual. It seemed this would be postponed to 2021 when young people could be out and about a bit more. Until the fall, when a request came in from a family in Tanzania for help with tuition for their daughter to continue her schooling. She is in her last year of secondary school and has taken on a roll as Naturalist Leader for her class. As a naturalist leader, Hafsah Kindu is working with fellow students in addressing major environmental issues.
- Provide an opportunity for youth to experience the outdoors in ways that may change their lives.
- Support opportunities that open minds, build self-confidence, develop understanding, appreciation and further stewardship for the natural world.
- Awarded to youth who best demonstrate their desire and need to pursue experiences that encourage their connections with the natural world.
- Experiences that emphasize nature exploration, environmental science, wilderness adventures, and leadership in the outdoors. These experiences can be in the form of camps, trips, and/or travel. Applicants can range in age from 12-18 years old or older if furthering their education pertaining to the natural world.
- Scholarship applications must be received by March 30
- Award recipients will be contacted and announced by May 1
- The scholarship must be used during the year in which it is awarded
- Scholarship recipients are asked to make one public presentation about their experience (to their school, church, local library, etc.) following their return
- Scholarships are awarded to applicants who best demonstrate both a commitment to and interest in the natural world, and who can articulate why this scholarship will make a difference in their lives
- Two applicants are awarded annually
- Proposals for any and all outdoor adventures an applicant has dreamed of endeavoring in their lives is encouraged
- Scholarships are awarded for experiences that emphasize nature exploration, environmental science, wilderness adventures, and leadership in the outdoors. These experiences can be in the form of camps, trips, and/or travel.
- Applicants can range in age from 12-18 years old or older if furthering their education pertaining to the natural world.
- Amounts of awards range from $50-$800.
- The scholarship is funded by individual donations
Past scholarship awards
- Alpen Girls - A traveling camp experience for girls 11-17 in Bozeman, Montana.
- Glacier Institute - Exploration and adventure in the "Crown of the Continent" offering a variety of youth opportunities throughout each summer.
- Northwest Connections - Pioneering a 'new' way of looking at ecosystems: one that recognizes and appreciates the variability in nature and therefore the importance of information which is site specific and which is collected over an ample period of time.
- We encourage you to imagine your own "Wilderness Time"